Quinoa Stuffed Peppers
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups chicken broth
- About 1 lb ground chicken or turkey
- 6 red/yellow peppers
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup diced onion or shallots
- minced garlic
- fresh spinach
- herbs of your choice (I plan to use fresh oregano and thyme)
- my holy quartet of seasoning: salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder
- olive oil
- mozerella cheese
- Cut 1⁄4 off stem end of peppers; remove seeds. Stand peppers (remove sliver from bottom of pepper if it won't stand up) and tops in a microwave-safe baking dish. Add 1⁄2 cup water, cover with moist paper towel and microwave on high 5 minutes, or until peppers are crisp-tender.
- Put quinoa, broth, and seasoning quartet to taste into a pot and cook per directions on box.
- Meanwhile, drain juice from canned tomatoes into a bowl. Saute chopped mushrooms, shallots, and drained tomatoes in a large nonstick skillet in olive oil over med-high heat until cooked through and lightly browned. Add spinach and let wilt. Set aside vege mixture in separate bowl.
- Cook ground chicken in same skillet vegetables were in. Once cooked through, make a little "hole" in the middle of the chicken and add olive oil and garlic. Let garlic simmer for a moment to flavor the oil and then mix into the meat.
- Add the cooked vegetables and quinoa to the meat mixture and stir together. Season more with the seasoning quartet to taste. Cook for about a minute in the skillet to let the flavors meld then add shredded mozerella (1/2-1 cup or so) and mix in.
- Spoon vege/meat/quinoa/cheese mixture into peppers; top with more shredded mozerella. Place the pepper tops off to the side of the peppers in the dish. Fill the bottom of the dish with the reserved tomato juice.
- To bake: Heat oven to 400°F and bake uncovered 30 minutes, or until sauce bubbles and peppers/cheese are lightly charred.
(image from here)