Tuesday, February 24, 2015
We got a dog!!! Meet Pandora! She's a 2-ish year old lab mix that we brought home from the shelter this past weekend! We'd been talking about getting a dog for a while, but it was never really practical when we were going back and forth from my place to his. And when I moved in with S in August we wanted to let the kitties have time to adjust to their new home and then it was the holidays. Once February rolled around we decided it was time. We started looking Valentine's weekend and thought we'd found the right dog, but that adoption fell through. So this past weekend we spent pretty much all day Saturday going to adoption events and shelters. On our sixth stop we found Pandora and we took her home the next day!
We're so excited to have this pretty girl as a new member of our household!
Wednesday, February 18, 2015
Since I don't have much to report from the weekend, I figured I'd amuse you with a few funny/interesting that links I've found recently:
- Have you heard of the Mars One mission? It is a plan for a mission to colonize Mars (one way trip there only) and the plan is to fund it by packaging the whole process up as a reality TV series. The project received over 200,000 resumes from people who want to be the first humans to walk on Mars and the organizers just narrowed down the applicant pool to only 100 people, 50 men and 50 women. Only 24 people will actually go, but of course back ups will need to be trained as well. The coolest part? I actually KNOW one of the top 100 finalists!!! George and I were friends back at KSC and he was recently interviewed by MSNBC about reaching the top 100. You can watch the video above to see the interview.
- Do you use Amazon? Did you know about all of these 20 secret tips? #3 kind of blew my mind!
- The Cathy Comic of the 90's meets the Louis CK rants of today and it's brilliant: http://thecathyckpage.tumblr.com
- This video about confronting sexual harassers on the streets of Lima, Peru made my day!
- You can't fight logic against someone who refuses to be logical...http://io9.com/8-logical-fallacies-that-fuel-anti-science-sentiments-1679442426
- And while I'm talking nerdy science stuff, have you heard that my favorite astrophysicist (yes, I have a favorite, doesn't everyone???) is getting his own late night talk show?!
Friday, February 13, 2015
S and I wound up with the master suite and while it was quite luxurious (reading room, remote controlled fireplace, heated toilet seat), we didn't really take much advantage of the perks - we wound up spending most of our time skiing and hanging out with the group and our only time in the bedroom was to sleep. Or to try to sleep at least. Breck is higher than our usual ski haunt of Winter Park and I got elevation sickness BAD that first night. I usually get a headache in the mountains, but in addition to that this time I was also super dizzy and nauseous and I kept jolting awake in the middle of the night gasping for air. Fun stuff. I wasn't sure if I'd make it skiing the next day, but luckily the symptoms subsided over the course of the night. I was tired, but ready to ski!
It was not a relaxing weekend, but it was definitely a fun weekend! We always have such a good time with all of the people on the trip (and made some new friends too!) and I always enjoy the opportunity to go skiing out west (the powder and the long runs are awesome). I am already looking forward to getting to explore more of the runs at Breck next year!
Since we wore ourselves out last weekend, we're planning on taking it easy this weekend. We will definitely be sleeping in, are planning to finally watch Gone Girl now that it's at Redbox, and are hoping to get in some family time first with with S's nephew at his Robonaut Robotics open house and then with S's parents that night for dinner. Maybe we'll get something done around the house too, but we're not planning on it at this time. We just want to relax...