10 oz butter, softened
2 tbsp meyer lemon zest
juice of 1/2 meyer lemon
3/4 cup sugar
3 egg whites
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 cup dessicated coconut (dried, flaked, unsweetened)
2/3 cup almond meal
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup confectioners sugar
juice of other half of meyer lemon
- Preheat your oven to 320 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease and flour your baking pan(s). Or, in my case I used four stick-free, heat resistant, mini paper bread loaf containers.
- If you don't have almond meal, simply take some blanched almonds and whiz them up in a food processor until they are fine. You can usually find almond meal/flour, pre-ground, in the baking aisle of most stores now, though.
- Combine the butter, zest and sugar and mix until pale and creamy.
- Add the egg whites gradually. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and mix again.
- Sift the flour and baking powder over the butter mixture and mix.
- Add in the juice of half of a lemon and fold in the almonds, coconut and buttermilk.
- Pour into your prepared pan(s) and bake for approximately 1-1 1/4 hours or until the bread is ever so lightly lightly browned and a cake tester (a tooth pick or in my case a leftover chopstick from thai takeout) comes clean when inserted (cooking time will be less if you use more pans). Let cool.
- Mix the confectioners (powdered) sugar with the juice from the other half of the meyer lemon to make a glaze. Spoon the glaze over each of the coconut loaves and let harden before serving.